POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: David Buck
Date: 10 Mar 2008 21:57:36
Message: <47d5f520$1@news.povray.org>
I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback.  It has been very
valuable and insightful for me to see how you do your voting.  As you
can expect, it will be impossible to satisfy everyone with any proposal,
so I'm going to take my best stab at what I feel is a reasonable
proposal based on the feedback I've been hearing and taking the aspects
I like the most.

1) Who votes
    - IRTC administrators
    - Anyone who submitted an image to a competition within the last year
    - Anyone who asked and was approved by an IRTC admin
       - I would suggest that this be an exceptional case

2) Registration
    - You don't need to register in order to view all submissions
    - You do need to register in order to submit
    - Registration will capture home address and phone number
       - this helps prevent fraud
       - allows IRTC admins at their discretion to award prizes
       - registration information is only available to IRTC admins

3) Voting
    - Votes would be on a scale of 1 to 10
       - A vote of 0 means the voter didn't rank the image
       - A voter must rank all images (except their own)
       - If they don't rank all images, they can't submit their votes

    - Voters don't see who submitted the image until voting is finished
    - Voters don't see other votes or voter comments until voting is
finished

    - Every voter must provide a comment on each image they vote on
       - Voting is a privilege and a responsibility
       - Providing constructive comments helps everyone
       - The submitters put a lot of effort into their work, the
          voters should respect that with appropriate comments

    - Each ranking level corresponds to a text description
       - the text description is displayed beside the rank
       - eg.
          [1] = Lacks both knowledge and effort
          [2] = Shows BEGINNER level skills
          [3] = Shows moderate BASIC skills
          [4] = Shows good BASIC skills
          [5] = Shows very good BASIC skills
          [6] = Shows ADVANCED level skills
          [7] = Shows very ADVANCED level skills
          [8] = Shows EXPERT level skills
          [9] = Shows SUPERB skills
          [10] = Shows EXTRAORDINARY skills(WOW!)

    - Ranking will be in 3 categories
       - Technical merit - how well the artist used tools and skills
       - Artistic merit - how artistically appealing the image is
       - Concept and interpretation of theme
          - how well the artist captured the theme of the competition

    - Overall is the total score of Technical + artistic + concept

    - 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place are submissions with the three
highest average overall scores.
       - i.e., total of overall scores / votes cast

    - Excluding 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners, three more awards are
       - technical merit - best average technical merit score
       - artistic merit - best average artistic merit score
          - excluding winners of technical merit
       - concept and interpretation of theme - best average concept score
          - excluding winners of technical or artistic merit

4) IRTC admins have the power to disqualify voters for misconduct
    - Inappropriate comments, vote rigging, etc.
    - Hopefully this power will rarely be needed

5) The voting period is the 2 weeks after the submission deadline.

6) Viewers can submit comments on submitted images
    - comments submitted by viewers can be removed by admins if
inappropriate

Does this sound reasonable?

David Buck